Access to the Internet is available to all patrons; however, this service may be restricted at any time for use not consistent with the guidelines. Parents of minor children must assume responsibility for their children's use of the library's Internet service.
Expectations: Users should be aware that the inappropriate use of electronic information resources can be a violation of local, state, and federal laws and can lead to prosecution. The user will be held responsible for his/her actions using the Internet. Users are expected to abide by the policies, which include generally accepted rules of etiquette. Unacceptable uses of the service will result in the suspension or revocation of Internet use privileges.
Warnings: The Internet is a decentralized, unmonitored global network; Washington County Public Library has no control over the content found there. The library provides filters but does not guarantee they will censor access to unwanted material nor protect users from offensive information. The library is not responsible for the availability and accuracy of information found on the Internet. The library cannot assure that data or files downloaded by users are virus-free. The library is not responsible for damages to equipment or data on a user's personal computer from the use of data downloaded from the library's Internet service. The use of the Internet and e-mail is not guaranteed to be private. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities will be reported to the proper authorities.
- Users may use the Internet for research and the acquisition of information to address their educational, vocational, cultural, and recreational needs.
- Users may use the Internet for the receipt and transmission of electronic mail (e-mail); the library is unable to manage e-mail accounts for any organizations or individuals.
- Internet use is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. If someone is waiting then a time limit will be enforced.
- Users will respect and uphold copyright laws and all other applicable laws and regulations; they will not use it for illegal purposes.
- Users will respect the rights and privacy of others by not accessing private files.
- Users shall not create and/or distribute computer viruses over the Internet.
- Users shall not deliberately or willfully cause damage to computer equipment or programs.
- Users shall not change computer settings without permission from library staff.
- Users shall not install any program onto a library computer. This includes programs downloaded from the Internet or brought into the library on a USB drive, memory card, or CD/DVD.